Obama Fails with Foreign Policy. Again.
[Below are two articles dealing with the failure of Barack Obama’s foreign policy; the first article is a political summary of Obama’s tenure to date, and the second article is an examination (from a Biblical perspective) of the fallout Obama’s foreign relations will bring upon this nation. SJ]
Even the Hapless Jimmy Carter Wasn’t This Bad
Author: Jack Kelly
Source: RealClearPolitics.com – 3.02.2014
Leaders of other countries don’t respect President Barack Obama, said 53 percent of respondents in Gallup’s annual World Affairs poll, conducted Feb. 3-6. That only 53 percent of Americans think this is an indictment of the news media’s coverage of foreign affairs.
He would lead the world by “deed and example,” not try to “bully it into submission,” Sen. Barack Obama wrote in Foreign Affairs magazine in 2007.
In a major foreign policy speech in 2008, Mr. Obama said he would focus on “ending the war in Iraq responsibly; finishing the fight against al-Qaida and the Taliban; securing all nuclear weapons and materials from terrorists and rogue states; achieving true energy security; and rebuilding our alliances to meet the challenges of the 21st century.”
The key elements of his foreign policy were to be a “reset” of relations with Russia, and outreach to Muslims.
To symbolize “reset,” when they met in Geneva, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton presented Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov with a red plastic button modeled on the “easy button” in the Staples ads.
“I have come here to seek a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world,” Mr. Obama said in a much ballyhooed speech in Cairo in June, 2009.
No president has talked the talk so well, but walked the walk so badly.
– War and Dishonor
The plastic button Ms. Clinton gave Mr. Lavrov was supposed to say “reset” in English and Russian. But “peregruzka” means “overcharged.” Relations went downhill from there.
To appease Russia, President Obama cancelled a ballistic missile defense treaty with Poland and the Czech Republic. But the more concessions he made, the more contempt with which he was treated by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
His Russian policy has been a total failure. But it hasn’t backfired as much as has Mr. Obama’s “outreach” to Muslims:
– Iran is closer than ever to a nuclear weapon. Mr. Obama weakened economic sanctions as a gesture of goodwill, so now the mullahs have the money to finish the job.
– Saudi Arabia is so angered by Mr. Obama’s appeasement of Iran it refused a seat on the U.N. Security Council; so frightened by it the Saudis are talking quietly with the Israelis about joint military action.
– In what had been our foremost Arab ally, Egypt, the president’s dalliance with the Muslim Brotherhood has alienated both the military and the people.
– Mr. Obama waged war of dubious legality to oust Moammar Gadhafi in Libya, an evil, mean, nasty, rotten guy, but not, since 2005, a threat to the United States. (He gave up his nuclear weapons program because he was afraid what happened to Saddam Hussein might happen to him.)
– Seventy percent of the 2,313 Americans killed in Afghanistan died after President Obama escalated the war. They died in vain. The Taliban is expected to take over when U.S. troops leave.
– The fighting in Iraq was over when Barack Obama took the oath of office. His inept diplomacy and premature withdrawal of all U.S. troops permitted an al-Qaida resurgence there.
– Worldwide, al-Qaida is as great a threat today as it was in 2001, the director of national intelligence told Congress last month.
– Peace talks between the Israelis and the Palestinians have gone nowhere, which is nothing new. But Barack Obama is the first U.S. president to lose the trust of both Israelis and Palestinians.
– More than 130,000 people have been killed in the civil war in Syria. President Obama threatened to intervene militarily on one side, then, after pressure from the Russians, in effect switched to the other, to the dismay of our European allies.
– Syria’s Christians Risk Eradication
Because he so often has “led from behind,” blustered and retreated, our enemies don’t fear our president; our allies don’t trust him; neither do they respect him.
– Barack Obama’s Nightmare
American influence has shrunk along with the president’s stature. During the crisis there, Ukraine’s defense minister refused to accept calls from our secretary of defense.
Not even the hapless Jimmy Carter made so big a mess. Relations have soured even with Canada, which is tired of being jerked around on the Keystone pipeline.
It’s time the news media noticed.
Jack Kelly is a columnist for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and The Blade of Toledo, Ohio.
Prophetic Precipice faced by America
Author: Bill Wilson
Source: The Daily Jot – 3.03.2014
While Russian President Vladimir Putin thumbed his nose at the occupant of the Oval Office’s warnings against invading Ukraine, the US president huddled in an hour-long Oval Office interview with Bloomberg reporter Jeffrey Goldberg. The purpose of the interview was to send a clear warning to Israel ahead of that country’s Prime Minister visit to the White House. The warning: Israel better give in to the president’s proposed peace framework or face a bleak future–one of international isolation and demographic disaster. The president skipped a National Security Advisors meeting on the crisis in Ukraine, but took an hour with a reporter to warn Israel. Watch the prophetic clock tick in the next 24 hours.
The Lord God says of Israel in Genesis 12:3, “And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curses thee.” This is an ongoing ordeal for America as presidents Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W Bush, and the current occupant of the Oval Office have built precept upon precept to force Israel into accepting terms of the terrorist Palestinian negotiators. A clear example of the US facing a political, economic or natural disaster within 48 hours of a US president pressuring Israel is Bush demanding that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon rid Gaza of its Jewish settlers. Gaza became a hostile enclave for Hamas terrorists within hours. Within 48 hours was the formation of a tropical depression that became Katrina.
– Please Wake Up
White House support of all things Islam has Biblical implications for all Americans. Most all the prophets–major and minor–point to current Islamic nations coming against Israel in the “Day of the Lord.” Russia’s role has always been in support of Israel’s enemies–Russia/Soviet Union supplied the weapons to Arab states that attacked Israel after its independence, the six day war in 1967 and the Yom Kippur War in 1973. The US president is pitching a prophetic grand slam on the people who elected him. He has drawn a line in the sand by warning Russia to not invade Ukraine and he is warning Israel of the consequences of not giving up traditional lands of Judea and Samaria to the Palestinian terrorists.
– The Rise Of the Bear
There are prophetic consequences, however, of the president’s actions. One could tie many things, such as the support for the Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda, his pressure on Israel, his support for abortion and homosexuality, his selective enforcement of law, his lack of fiscal responsibility, his reverse racism, his destruction of the economy, etc., to prophetic consequences that inform the current American condition. The one thing that each nation needs, however, is national security. His warnings to Israel amid his weak response to the growing crisis of Russian aggression are a combination adding up to prophetic and practical consequences. Proverbs 29:2 says, “…When the wicked bear rule, the people mourn.”
– Catastrophic Failure of Human Government
Have A Blessed And Powerful Day,